Foster Parent Requirements
You are thinking about opening your home to foster children, but aren’t quite sure where to begin. Here is a list of basic requirements for becoming a parent to a foster child.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Have a clean criminal record without a record of child abuse of any kind.
- Have a bedroom available for a child.
- Must have a consistent source of income that supports your expenses.
- Have a car with insurance and good driving record with the DMV.
- Must pass your state’s home safety check.
- Have time in your schedule to bring foster children to necessary appointments and court ordered visits.
- Foster children and teenagers must be supervised by the foster parent (or a court approved adult) anytime they are not in school or a supervised activity.
- Marital Status can married or single.
- Rent or own your apartment or house.
- Complete foster parent courses.
Foster Parent Resources
Below you will find links to helpful organization to guide you in your Foster Parent journey.
National Foster Parent Association – https://nfpaonline.org/foster
USA Government Child Care – https://www.usa.gov/child-care
Child Welfare Gateway – https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/outofhome/foster-care/
Children’s Aid – https://www.childrensaidnyc.org/programs/foster-care
Children’s Rights – https://www.childrensrights.org/newsroom/fact-sheets/foster-care/
Take a look at other ideas for helping foster families and foster children.